Receiving letters

These days receiving a letter, that isn't a bill or an advert, is almost rare. We do send tons of e-mails, private messages or text messages all the time, but a letter?

In my family, (and I'm talking about my extended family: my mother, my parents-in-law, sister-in-law, nephews...), I'm the one who gets "real" letters the most. Not only from my sponsor children but also from very good friends I met through Compassion.

Receiving a letter is wonderful, because it means that someone thought of me and took the time to sit down and write me a few lines.

And while all the letters are special, there are a few letters that are a tiny bit more special. For me these are the very first letters I receive from my sponsor children.

Yesterday surely was a good mail-day. I got letters from two of my correspondance kids - Nakasumba and Sawadogo. And both letters were the first ones from these kids.



Nakasumba is eleven years old, she lives with her parents in Uganda. She attends grade 6 and is an average student.

Her list of duties is long; she runs errands, is buying/selling in the marketplace, she helps with washing clothes, making beds, carrying water. Nakasumba helps to clean up and with child care.

Her list of hobbies though is even longer:
  • Dolls
  • Group games
  • Play house
  • Walking
  • Hide-and-Seek
  • Cars
  • Running
  • Reading
  • Art/Drawing
  • Ping pong
  • Jump rope
  • Singing
  • Listening to music
  • Other ball games
  • Story telling

I was assinged to be her correspondance sponsor in August and I guess you can imagine just how much I was looking forward to receive her first letter. I mean, with all those things to do and such an impressive list of hobbies, she seems like a very busy young woman to me, who has probably a lot to tell.

Nakasumba's first letter definitly took some time to reach me. But let me tell you, it was worth the wait:


Dear Svenja,
I greet you in the name of Jesus Christ. How are you these days?
I hope you are fine.
I like a person telling me stories more than telling stories to others.
I have siblings and they are Pamela, Patricia and Alex. My hobbies are playing net ball, singing, dancing. I like animals so much as you like them.
I thank you for sending for me very interesting and wonderful message.
Pray for me so that I get good grades to go to senior because I finished my PLE (Primary Leaving Examination).
I learnt a verse called James 4:7 (Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.)
What is your favorite food?
I am going to spend my Christmas in the village. I help the old people and the needy people in the community.
I have helped my family through washing utensils, mopping the house, fetching water, washing clothes, at school through mopping classes and the project.
I make wise decisions through counselling.
I thank my family, God, sponsor, project so much for giving me care.
May God bless you.
From your child Nakasumba

On the back she drew the Bible and what seems to be a photo frame. Into the frame she wrote "God loves you Svenja so much".


Sawadogo is also eleven years old. He lives with his mother in Burkina Faso. His father doesn't live with them but according to Sawadogo's information, he supports him. Sawadogo is in grade six and above average.

In his family Sawadogo helps cleaning up, washing clothes and running errands. His hobbies are group games, hide-and-seek, to play football and to bicycling.

I received him as a correspondance child in November 2013, so his letter got here rather quickly. the letter was addressed to his former correpsondance sponsor, who had to give him, and a few other kids, up, due to the lack of time.

Hello,
I’m so happy to write to you. My family and I are doing well.
I hope you are fine too. We will soon have a break at Christmas.
In my country we go to school from Monday through Saturday, from 7.30 am to 12.00 in the morning and from 3:00pm to 5pm in the afternoon.
I am in grade 6 and I study Geography, Science, History and Mathematics.

Merry Christmas!
How do you celebrate Christmas?
Please pray for my schooling, that I will pass the high school entrance certificate.
From your child Abdoul

 He also drew something on the back of the letter, a wonderful flower.





When I first started sponsoring through Compassion, it was my husband who took me aside, telling me to not get my hopes up to receive letters on a regular basis from my sponsored child. He had a good reason after all Compassion points out more than once that to a lot of kids writing a letter is a new experience. And looking back, I don't know who was more relieved/happy when the first letter came.

These days Chris is used to come home and have to listen about the latest letter I received. Or the one I have just written. Because for me, writing a letter is just as much fun as receiving one. But I will leave that for another blog entry. 

Comments

  1. What great letters!! It is such a joy to receive letters from our kids. I love how your husband warned you not to expect letters, though. I've found it so much easier to not expect and get my hopes up, so when I do run into kids who don't write much and/or frequently, it's not a disappointment. But the good writers really are the ones who encourage me to continue investing in all my kids through letters!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment